Saturday, March 04, 2006

Congressman Gets 8 Years, 4 Months in Prison


Former Rep. Randy "Duke" Cunningham, who collected $2.4 million in homes, yachts, antique furnishings and other bribes on a scale unparalleled in the history of Congress, was sentenced Friday to eight years and four months in prison, the longest term meted out to a congressman in decades.

Cunningham accepted money and gifts including a Rolls-Royce and $40,000 Persian rugs from defense contractors and others in exchange for steering government contracts their way and other favors.

"Your honor I have ripped my life to shreds due to my actions, my actions that I did to myself," he said.

"I made a very wrong turn. I rationalized decisions I knew were wrong. I did that, sir," Cunningham said.

Cunningham pleaded guilty Nov. 28 to tax evasion and a conspiracy involving four others.

Duke's Bribe Menu.
The most disturbing thing about this is how low the prices were, $50,000 for $1 million in contract value. Alex Tabarrok from Marginal Revolution asks what makes prices low? "That's right, competition. So who was Cunningham competing with?"

Probe extends to CIA #3.

Katherine Harris Too.